Pillsbury’s Favorite Bread
Pillsbury Double Quick Recipe
Makes 4 1-lb. loaves*
Temperature 400 degrees F. Time About 40 minutes
2 cups (1 pint) milk, scalded
4 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons shortening
2 cakes compressed yeast or 2 packages granular yeast
2 cups (1 pint) lukewarm water
12 cups (3 lbs.) sifted Pillsbury’s Best Enriched Flour
*To make 2 loaves of bread, divide ingredients in half.
1. Combine milk, sugar, salt, and shortening; stir till dissolved and lukewarm.
2. Soften yeast in a little of the water. Add yeast and remaining water to cooled milk mixture.
3. Sift flour once, measure, add to yeast mixture, blending thoroughly.
4. Knead dough on a floured board about 10 minutes.
5. Place in greased bowl, cover; set to rise in a warm place (80-85 degrees F.) about 1 1/2 hours or till impression of a finger stays in dough.
6. Punch gas from dough, cover and let rise again for about 1/2 hour.
7. Put on floured board; flatten out. Cut and nold into 4 balls let rest for 15 minutes, closely covered. Shape into loaves.
8. Place in greased 9x4x3-inch loaf pans; cover; keep in warm place till dough fills pans and center rises above top (about 1 1/4 hours). Bake in hot oven.