Cherry-Blush Nut Cake
1. Sift and measure 3 cups Pillsbury’s Sno Sheen Cake Flour; Add 4 1/4 teaspoons baking powder ( 3 teaspoons double-acting) and 3/4 teaspoon salt; sift three times.
2. Cream 2/3 cup shortening; add 1 1/2 cup sugar gradually; beat until light.
3. Add dry ingredients alternately with combined 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat well after each addition.
4. Carefully fold in 4 egg whites beaten stiff but not dry.
5. To 2/3 of batter fold in 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries and enough red vegetable coloring to tint batter pink. Turn into 2 greased, lined 8-inch layer pans.
6. Into rest of batter fold 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, and turn into a greased, lined 8-inch layer pan.
7. Bake layers in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) about 30 minutes.
8. When cake is cold, frost thickly with swirls of seven-minute frosting, as shown. Use red vegetable coloring in 1/3 of frosting for sides. Use plain frosting between layers and on top of cake.